The internet has created a new opportunity for the small business owner. Gone are the days of press releases left to the whims of a reporter or publisher. The internet has become the largest publisher in history. With websites, Blogs, Twitter (micro blogging), Facebook/Myspace, You Tube, Wikkis etc. There are countless opportunities for you to get the word out about your business.
Just remember the old adage “If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it fall, did it make a sound?” You may have the best product in the world, it could be revolutionary, but if you don’t take the time to communicate with your “right audience” (also known as a niche market) how is anyone going to find out about it? Communication is vital to marketing your product or service whether it’s through a chat room, blog, facebook, twitter, or email or via more subtle communication like branding.
But before you head to all these sites there are some things to remember:
1. Take a deep breath. You don’t have to sell on every site or network on every venue.
2. Do your research. You want the most bang for your buck, or in this case time. Many sites will feed their content to another site giving you a two for the price of one deal. Feeding your blog posts to your facebook page is a great example of this.
3. Join a message board or guild or team. I know you’re thinking how can I do all of this? How will I have the time? Notice I said join “ a” meaning one team or guild or message board. Don’t spread yourself thin. Start with one and build from there.
4. Blog , blog , blog. Google loves blogs, readers love blogs, on the internet content rules ; it stays online; it will still be campaigning for you long after its written.
5. Remember to be yourself. Your public wants to know you. Not some cheesy sales pitch. You. Your art, your vision. Share a bit about yourself and how you got
started. Everyone likes a human interest story and it develops relationship and trust.
So, your challenge for the week is to do some research and find a way to get your voice heard that works for you, your lifestyle, and your business.